Well friends, I'm boarding a train from Chicago to St. Louis on Saturday. JC will be picking me up and we are driving through the night to Denver. As of now we are planning on hitting the trail Sunday July 20th. I posted about this hike on facebook and our friend Yappy said she will be starting on the 21st. JC and I hiked with her on and off from Virginia to New England. It'll be a great reunion.
As many of you know by the lack of updates on this blog, I don't blog much. A month ago I turned in my flip phone for a smartphone. Hopefully I'll be posting photos on instagram and my twitter account. So check those out for updates. The blogspot app seems a little clunky.
Quick facts about the Colorado Trail
- 486 Miles from Denver to Durango
- Only one shelter on the entire trail
- Shares 234 miles with the Continental Divide Trail
- Many opportunities to climb some of Colorado's 14ers, including Colorado's High Point, Mt. Elbert.
- Average elevation is 10,000 feet.
- Over 89,000 feet of elevation change
- Violent thunder and lightning storms may ravage the afternoon sky, then quickly give way to warm sunshine and cloudless skies.
- Much of the CT is above tree line
- Trail is open to hikers, mountain bikers (with the exception of Wilderness Areas), equestrians and pack animals.
While hiking from Denver to Durango will be lots of fun. JC is taking it up a notch. He hits the Western Terminus of the CT he will hope on his mountain bike and had back to Denver. He could not find any blogs, or accounts of a adventure like the one he is planning. This is not to say it has not been done, if he completes a hike/bike yo-yo of the CT he'll have some serious bragging rights. His newly recreated Instagram account is one to watch, with a great handle, JCfoundtheinternet.