Friday, December 23, 2011

Boots on the Ground

Beautiful day on the Jane Addams
I took my first walk with a mostly full pack (didn't have food or all of my cook system) on the 21st. I hiked about five miles on the Jane Addams Trail in just over an hour. Which is more impressive if I didn't tell you that the JAT is part of the Rails to Trails Conservancy -- the trail is an old railroad build and has very gradual elevation gain/loss. So it's not that great for training, but it was still good to get out there with my pack on! I also wanted to get a few miles in on the trail before the first substantial snowfall. After that the trail is taken over by drunken snowmobilers racing by polluting the air, water, and breaking the silence of the winter wonderland (that's was my inner Edward Abbey escaping). I am planning to hike at least 2 miles a day until I leave for Springer Mountain this spring, regardless of the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment